Saturday, February 26, 2011

CONTROL ISSUES

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
Jeremiah 29:11

Why is it that we always think that we know better than God?

I am probably more guilty of this than anyone. I think I know what I want but what I want isn't always necessarily what is best for me. I'm a little slow to catch on at times. 


Before we moved to South Dakota we had a rough few years. Work was slow in coming after losing a position in Florida and we struggled with where God wanted us to go next. I was willing to go anywhere God wanted me to go...really.


Then the opportunity came up at Flandreau Indian School in South Dakota. The job seemed amazing (and it is), a perfect fit. It is youth ministry to the max...all of the training and experiences that I've had in the past leading up to the challenges that these students face. God has been training me for this position for years.




The job was perfect...but I kept saying "But God...South Dakota? Really?" Those of you who I came in contact with during that time may have actually heard me mutter those words. Fortunately, I had some Godly men around me at the time who quite literally told me that if I was being resistant like Jonah they would personally toss me from the boat if it meant I was going to sink their ship because of my disobedience. 


I shudder to think what blessings I would have missed had I not listened to God. Besides the ministry that has been unbelievable, my family has flourished in the move. Josh had an incredible cross country season shattering his old times in large part due to cooler temperatures. Bethany has made all kinds of new friends. I don't worry about her outside riding her bike, which she learned to do since we've been here. It's been fun watching her discover winter and snow. She was not quite two when we moved to Florida so she doesn't really have a memory of winter. And Kristen has rediscovered her passion of being creative while having some time to do it. She's learned knitting and is loving her role as Girl Scout Cookie Queen.


So what else have I missed out on in my desperate attempt to hold the wheel and keep God from having His way in my life? What about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment