Tuesday, April 17, 2012

The More I Know the Less I Know

One of the most frustrating but faith building parts of my job is the portion I need to leave to God (which would, of course, be all of it).

I become involved in the lives of students at Flandreau Indian School and want the best for them. I want them to make the best decisions that they can in order to further their education and make the most of the opportunities here. It’s also a time for me to be able to have the most interaction I can in order to influence them to lead a life that’s honoring to God, for them to begin to make wise decisions. But often that time together is short. I have to make the most of every opportunity with a student because in a lot of cases I only get one or two chances.  They get sent home for disciplinary reasons or they decide they don’t like being away from home or they’re having trouble fitting in.

The part I need to turn over to God on a daily basis is that I am not the only voice that God will use to speak into that person’s life. “My job was to plant the seed in your hearts, and Apollos watered it, but it was God, not we, who made it grow.” I Corinthians 3:6. I think a lot of times we get into the selfish mindset that we are solely responsible for sharing Christ and seeing fruit immediately. Again, the frustrating part for me is not always seeing immediate life change but what I need to remember is that it’s my job to plant the seed. God has the part of placing other people in students’ lives in the future to see His plan through to completion.

I need to be confident in this promise: “that He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.” Philippians 1:6

No comments:

Post a Comment